Dr. John Robinson is responsible for leading the integration of academic and operational sustainability on UBC’s Vancouver campus. In that capacity, he directs the UBC Sustainability Initiative (USI) and provides leadership for UBC’s academic, research and operational activities and programs in sustainability. He also represents UBC’s sustainability activities to the broader local and international community. Dr. Robinson’s research focuses on the intersection of climate change mitigation, adaptation and sustainability; sustainable buildings and urban design; the use of visualization, modeling, and citizen engagement to explore sustainable futures; creating partnerships for sustainability with the private, public, non-governmental and research sectors; and, generally, the intersection of sustainability, social and technological change, behaviour change, and community engagement processes. Previously a Fellow of the Trudeau Foundation, he has been a Lead Author in the last three reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which won the Nobel Peace Prize with Al Gore in 2007. In 2012, Canadian Geographic magazine named Professor Robinson Canada’s Environmental Scientist of the Year, and he received the Metro Vancouver Architecture Canada Architecture Advocacy Award for 2012.
- Robinson, J., Burch, S., Talwar, S., O’Shea, M., Walsh, M., Envisioning sustainability: Recent progress in the use of participatory backcasting approaches for sustainability research, Technological Forecasting and Social Change 78 (2011) 756-768.
- Talwar, S., A. Wiek and J. Robinson, User engagement in sustainability research, Science and Public Policy, 38(5), (2011) 379–390.
- Bizikova, L., S. Burch, J. Robinson, A. Shaw, S. Sheppard, “Utilizing participatory scenario-based approaches to design proactive responses to climate change in the face of uncertainties”, in Johann Feichter and Gabriele Gramelsberger, eds. Climate Change and Policy: The Calculability of Climate Change and the Challenge of Uncertainty. Springer-Verlag, (2011)
- Sheppard, S., A. Shaw, D. Flanders, S. Burch, A. Wiek, J. Carmichael, J. Robinson, S. Cohen, “Future Visioning of Local Climate Change: A Framework for Community Engagement and Planning with Scenarios and Visualization”, Futures, (2011)
- Salter, J., J. Robinson, A. Wiek, “Participatory Methods of Integrated Assessment – A Review”, Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change, 1 (2010) 697-717.
- Brown, Z., R. Cole, J. Robinson, H. Dowlatabadi, “Evaluating User Experience in Green Buildings in Relation to Workplace Culture and Context”, Facilities 28:3/4 (2010) 225-238.
- Bizikova, L., S. Burch, S. Cohen, and J. Robinson, “A Participatory Integrated Assessment Approach to Local Climate Changes Responses: Linking Sustainable Development with Climate Change Adaptation & Mitigation”, in O’Brien, K., Kristoffersen, B. and St. Clair, A., eds. Climate Change, Ethics and Human Security, Cambridge University Press, 2010, pp. 157-179.