SBSP trainees are required to participate in professional development (PD) activities in addition to their normal academic coursework.
Trainees are required to attend a minimum of 7.5 days (60 hours) PD workshop in their first two years, including a minimum of 4 hours in each year that they remain an SBSP trainee.
The three day Instructional Skills Workshop (ISW) is mandatory for all PhD student trainees (the ISW is NOT recommended for masters level students).
Trainees are free to choose the PD activities, either on or off of UBC campus, that they believe will be most beneficial to their careers. The table below provides some relevant PD workshops that are available at UBC and delivered through Graduate Pathways to Success, UBC Career Services, and Mitacs.
Some of the available Professional Development workshops are:
- Time Management – Online Workshop (Starting September 8, 2016)
- Communicating Your Research – Online Workshop (Starting September 14, 2016)
- Networking Skills – Burnaby (September 30, 2016)
- Time Management – Vancouver (October 4, 2016)
- Business Writing for Today’s Professional – Vancouver (October 5, 2016)
- Scientific and Technical Writing – Vancouver (October 19 & 21, 2016)
- Scholarship and Award Opportunities for Graduate Students (Sept. 8, 2016)
- Foundations of Project Management I: A Team Based Approach (2 Days) (Sept. 20,2016)
- Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer (Sept. 29, 2016)
- Copyright for your Thesis: how to use images and other material (Sept. 27, 2016)
- Submitting Your Thesis (Sept. 27, 2016)
These workshops are available throughout the year and are free of cost. Please check their respective websites for more details. For more PD events and workshops, visit the Graduate Student Community, UBC Career Services, Mitacs Step, or CTLT websites.